- About LCLS
- LCLS News
- User Resources
- Machine Status
- Staff Resources
- Contact Us
Each person who works at LCLS is required to be familiar with and identify in advance the hazards associated with his/her work, the hazards associated with work areas, and to properly implement all necessary procedures and protocols for mitigation of those hazards. Each person is required to observe all federal, state, local and SLAC/LCLS workplace safety regulations as well as Integrated Safety & Environmental Management System (ISEMS) and Work Planning and Control (WPC).
A series of safety related questions are incorporated into the proposal and beam time support request review process. Please answer these questions and provide additional information as appropriate. When appropriate, the LCLS Safety Office will contact you and coordinate specific training and controls to mitigate potential safety issues associated with your proposed experiment. Contact Ian Evans, LCLS Safety Officer, to discuss all safety issues related to user proposals or scheduled experiments.
LCLS users must complete the following safety training courses online BEFORE arriving at SLAC to receive a new badge (or renewed proximity access on their current badge):
- Go to this browser check web page to verify that your computer is compatible with the web training system requirements..
- NOTE: SLAC web training is compatible with Windows computers using the Internet Explorer or Firefox browsers and Mac computers using Safari only. Linux and other third party browsers, such as Google Chrome, are not supported.
- Java and Flash are also required to access the web training. A complete list of system requirement is located here.
- Mac users We recommend you verify your Java installation by going to this Java web page http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp before attempting to access the Web Training Portal.
- If you do not see any warnings, this indicates that your computer has passed the system check. If you see a warning message, follow the link displayed there for further instructions.
- Once you pass the system check, then click the red banner to access the log-in page where you will enter your system ID # [insert system ID here] and the password slac2005.
- After log-in, select the "Web Training Catalog" tab.
- Click on the "Users" folder and then select the following courses to complete..
- Course 396 - Safety Orientation for Non-SLAC Employees (SON) (You must view every slide to receive course credit)
- Course 115 - GERT (Passing the quiz with a score of at least 80% is required to receive course credit)
- Course 154 - SLAC Vehicle Safety Training (Agreement to abide by SLAC driving regulations is required to receive course credit)
- Either Course CS101 - Cyber Security Basics for New Users (First time users of SLAC computing resources)
- Or Course CS200 - Cyber Security Annual Refresher (For returning users who have previously completed CS101)
Roll over the course name and you will see a "Launch" link. Click this link to launch the course. Each training is approximately 45 minutes.
Please verify your training was recorded by clicking the 'My Progress' tab to the left of the picture on your SkillSoft home page.
Once you have completed the courses, print your certificates of completion! Take the certificates with you to get your badge. Credit for completing courses will be downloaded into the SLAC training database the following day.
Please notify "> if you encounter problems with required training.
Other required LCLS training courses to be done on-site:
- Course LCLS01-LCLS06 - LCLS Hutch Orientations (AMO, SXR, XPP, XCS, CXI, MEC)
- Course LCLS07 - LCLS Building Orientation
Additional training requirements may be identified for LCLS users who plan to perform particular types of hazardous work while they are at LCLS. Additional supplemental safety training courses may include Laser Worker Safety Training, Radiological Worker Training (RWT), Hutch 6 Non-Permit Confined Space Training, Sample Preparation Laboratory Training or other courses identified by the LCLS Safety Officer or assigned by the User's supervisor.
Feedback is an important part of the Integrated Safety & Environmental Management System (ISEMS). Users are required to complete an end of run survey through the user portal after each scheduled experiment. The feedback provided by users will be used to address issues raised by users and to continually improve user resources and support. User feedback will be shared with LCLS safety office, management, staff, and scientific advisory committees.
Users are also encouraged to contact the Users' Organization Executive Committee to share their suggestions or concerns.