- About SSRL
- SSRL News
- User Resources
- Beam Lines
- Science at SSRL
- Staff Resources
- Contact Us
Sand Hill Road Main Gate
Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
SLAC has installed proximity card readers at the entrances from Sand Hill Road and Alpine Road as well as at Security Gates 17 and 30. If you do not have an ID badge with proximity access issued by Security after October 1, 2014, stop first at the SLAC Security Office Building 235 during office hours which are 7 am-12 noon and 1-4 pm (except weekends and holidays). After confirming your citizenship, training, and affiliation with a scheduled user experiment, Security will issue a SLAC ID card. After hours, Security guards at the Sand Hill Road Main Gate can provide a temporary proximity card if these conditions are met.
Also, check in with URA in Building 120 before 4 pm or before entering experimental areas. If you do not plan to return to SLAC, please drop off your ID badge with URA staff before you leave.
Services provided by SLAC Security at the Sand Hill Road Main Gate include:
- After Hours and Holidays: Proximity card required for access. Alternatively, officers will log in every car or individual entering SLAC property from sunset to 6 am and on all shifts during weekends and holidays.
- Directions and Maps: Directions and maps are available from Security or the web.
- Emergency Assistance: In the event of an emergency or life threatening situation, call 911 or extension 5555 from any SLAC telephone (650-926-5555). Also notify your supervisor, the Duty Operator or SSRL Safety Officer.
- Telephone Services: The Main Gate Security Officers provide general telephone assistance with call transferring, offsite calling, and overseas calls. For specific SLAC telephone information, refer to the SLAC Telephone User's Guide.
- Visitors: Security Officers will provide visitors with SLAC personnel contact/directory (SLAC phone directory) assistance, and directions and maps. If SLAC contact cannot be reached, visitors will be asked to wait in the Visitor's parking lot until contact is made. If you are expecting a visitor and want to make their his/her experience as simple as possible, please contact the Main Gate security guards in advance to make prior arrangements for the visit.
During the summer 2013, Security transitioned from staffing Gate 17 during workdays to 24/7 proximity access for vehicles and pedestrians. The turnstile at Gate 16 is out of service; turnstile 16A can only be used to exit the accelerator area. Cars may also enter through the Alpine Road entrance or through Gate 30 along Pep Ring Road.
Satellite view | Aerial view detail
Sector 30 Gate
A SLAC Photo ID with proximity access is required for pedestrian and vehicle entry from Alpine Road. All vehicle occupants must have valid training and a SLAC ID (the vehicle driver is responsible for ensuring that all vehicle occupants possess their ID).